Betty Gabehart Prizes
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2016 WINNERS!
Betty Gabehart Prize in Poetry
- Winner: Amie Whittemore of Charlottesville, VA, for “The Animal Eyes Grow Dark” and other poems
- Honorable Mentions: Jessica Thompson of New Harmony, IN, for "Uninhabited Continents" and other poems; and
- Nancy Allen of Lynchburg, VA, for "Ao Dai" and other poems
Betty Gabehart Prize in Fiction
- Winner: Laura Nagle of Berea, KY, for “Planet of One”
- Honorable Mention: Bridgette Shade of Pittsburgh, PA, for "Lifespan"
Betty Gabehart Prize in Nonfiction
- Winner: Jessica Hindman of Berea, KY, for Sounds Like Titanic (memoir excerpt)
- Honorable Mention: Catherine Guthrie of Somerville, MA, for “Flat: An Unconventional Breast Cancer Memoir"
Winners are invited to read from their work on KWWC's mainstage and be celebrated during the conference weekend, as well as receiving complimentary enrollment in the workshop of their choice and a $200 prize.
Past winners and honorable mentions:
- Winner: Deborah Bernhardt for “Oil” and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Carolyn Guinzio of Fayetteville AR for “Blu-ray, May-fly” and other poems
- Winner: Theresa Dowell Blackinton of Durham NC for “Next Time, the Whale”
- Honorable Mention: Brenda Peynado of Cincinnati OH for “The Drownings
- Winner: Katherine McCord of Sykesville MD for And One More Thing About the CIA (memoir excerpt)
- Honorable Mention: Ruth Crocker of Mystic CT for “Lost in Place”
- Winner: Emily Cole of Carbondale IL for “Her Cancer into Harvest” and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Angela Penaredondo of Riverside CA for “Child, Sit Pious” and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Rochelle Hurt of Cincinnati OH for “Beatitude Girls” and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Kat Meads of Lomond CA for “Miss Jane Repurposes” and other poems
- Winner: Amanda Kabak of Chicago IL for “Over the Rainbow”
- Honorable Mention: Jaimee Wriston Colbert of Endicott NY for “Suicide Birds”
- Winner: Shuly Cawood of Johnson City TN for “An Unexpected Light”
- Honorable Mention: Cathy Beres of Chicago IL for “Symphony Date
- Winner: Kim Lozano, “ Just Married”
- Honorable Mention: Paulette Livers, “Flummery for Breakfast”
- Winner: D. S. Davies, “Three Places"
- Honorable Mention: Shuly Cawood, “Before you Leave”
- Winner: Jennifer Militello, “A Dictionary at the Periphery” and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Sarah McCartt-Jackson, “She names them, Letters, Rooting, Supper, Sunburst"
- Honorable Mention: Amie Whittemore, “The Unknotting” and other poems