2017 Gabehart Prize Submission Guidelines
Postmark deadline: June 1. One winner will be chosen in each of three genres: poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction. Winners will be personally notified and posted on our Web site no later than July 17, 2017. Winners will receive:
- $200, plus up to $100 in travel, lodging, or dining expenses (receipts required)
- the opportunity to read her winning work during the conference on September 15-16, 2017 in Lexington
- two general admission passes to the conference for the winner and one guest.
- one slot in a small-group writing workshop for winner (if guest also wishes to enroll in a workshop, she must purchase the admission at the $200 workshop rate)
- Please do not apply if you have won this award in the past five years (2012 or later).
- Works that are previously published are not eligible for this award. This includes works accepted for publication that have not yet appeared.
- The contest is open to any female writer of English.
- Employees or board members of the Kentucky Women Writers Conference are not eligible.
- Length: no more than 5 manuscript pages of poetry (which may consist of more than one poem—this guideline has changed from previous years); or no more than 6,000 words of fiction or nonfiction
- Please submit two copies of the work.
- The author’s name or address must not appear anywhere on the work.
- The work must be on standard white paper, single-sided.
- Paginate correctly.
- Each work entered must be accompanied by its own entry form and a $10 entry fee payable to Kentucky Women Writers Conference. You may write a single check for multiple entries.
- Submission of more than one work is permissible; each must be accompanied by its own entry form and fee. If multiple works are entered with a single entry fee, only the first work will be accepted.
- Entries must be postmarked by June 1, 2017.
- Please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard if you would like notification that the entry has been received.
- We cannot return entries.
- Contest results will be posted on our website by July 17, 2017. Winners will be notified immediately.
Please send entries to:
Betty Gabehart Prize
Kentucky Women Writers Conference
University of Kentucky
232 East Maxwell Street
Lexington, KY 40506-0344
Direct inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org