Betty Gabehart Prizes
Congratulations to our winners of the 2015 Betty Gabehart Prize!
- Winner: Deborah Bernhardt for "Oil" and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Carolyn Guinzio of Fayetteville AR for "Blu-ray, May-fly" and other poems
- Winner: Theresa Dowell Blackinton of Durham NC for "Next Time, the Whale"
- Honorable Mention: Brenda Peynado of Cincinnati OH for "The Drownings"
- Winner: Katherine McCord of Sykesville MD for And One More Thing About the CIA (memoir excerpt)
- Honorable Mention: Ruth Crocker of Mystic CT for "Lost in Place"
Each year the Kentucky Women Writers Conference offers opportunities for both emerging and established voices to be singled out and cheered on by our community. The Betty Gabehart Prize honors our good friend, patron, and former director who led the conference during its seminal decade in the 1980s. One winner is chosen in each genre--poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction--by pairs of judges from our Board of Advisors. Each winner receives $200, two general admission tickets to the conference on September 12-13, 2014, including one workshop slot, and a reading during the conference.
Winners of last year's (2014) Betty Gabehart Prize:
- Winner: Emily Cole of Carbondale IL for "Her Cancer into Harvest" and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Angela Penaredondo of Riverside CA for "Child, Sit Pious" and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Rochelle Hurt of Cincinnati OH for "Beatitude Girls" and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Kat Meads of Lomond CA for "Miss Jane Repurposes" and other poems
- Winner: Amanda Kabak of Chicago IL for "Over the Rainbow"
- Honorable Mention: Jaimee Wriston Colbert of Endicott NY for "Suicide Birds"
- Winner: Shuly Cawood of Johnson City TN for "An Unexpected Light"
- Honorable Mention: Cathy Beres of Chicago IL for "Symphony Date"
Winners of the 2013 Betty Gabehart Prize:
- Winner: Kim Lozano, " Just Married"
- Honorable Mention: Paulette Livers, "Flummery for Breakfast"
- Winner: D. S. Davies, "Three Places"
- Honorable Mention: Shuly Cawood, "Before you Leave"
- Winner: Jennifer Militello, "A Dictionary at the Periphery" and other poems
- Honorable Mention: Sarah McCartt-Jackson, "She names them, Letters, Rooting, Supper, Sunburst"
- Honorable Mention: Amie Whittemore, "The Unknotting" and other poems